Film – Week 8 – Screenwriting

Planning for a New Kind of Space Laboratory (Archive: NASA, International Space Station, 11/26/13)

“Ali film script” by Zadi Diaz is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 2.0

“You can’t fix a bad script after you start shooting. The problems on the page only get bigger as they move to the big screen.” – Howard Hawks

SUMMARY

This week I’ve learned the basics on celtix. I find it very helpful diving into the proper way of creating your work paper.

PRACTICE ROOM (TUTORIALS)

https://www.celtx.com/a/ux/#documents/a688284cee981ded7bba23e94a221f36933c4c8h

CLASSROOM (THEORY & ANALYSIS)

In sneak alot, I’ve been able to research how flm has developed and evolved over the years. One of the example films I watched was the great train robbery, which was an accurate representation of wha kind of things they did back then with film, what kind of techniques they used, the camerawork, the setting.  I’ve looked at all the positions people have in making a movie, what they contribute, how they do it. It’s the kind of production that we still see in films today and still use as a process.

LAB (THEORY PRACTICED)

Tension for me mostly involve’s stakes that reach over the line of what I usually deal with. Like if I’m in a situation where I don’t know how to handle it, or I’m left hopeless and have to change the way I proceive something forever. I don’t care about any of the petty things highscool is known for making. Learning somethin the hard way, no matter what it is, whether it depends on my future, mine or anybody elses life, has always been the greatest contributor to confronting tension because i have no real

knowledge of what these outcomes could be, all I know is that the world does’nt revolve around anyone and any outcome is possible. Not knowing what it’s gonna be fills me up with tension. That’s why I try to focus on the journey and not the destination.

OUTSIDE (CREATIVITY & THE BRAIN)

Determined to make a name in his success, Danny has to gain the confidence of an entire city to seize full power. 

After being a witness of a great massacre, Jacob must change his living conditions in order to keep himself and the people around him safe.

David, neglectful, unforgiving and despicable, will receive an opportunity that will change his outlook on life forever. 

She must find the only remaining branch in her tree, and will scope out the earth until she get’s her friend back out of the clutches of this cruel world. 

Entitled to perfection and a craving for lust, Elizabeth Strom’s identity will crumble with current uninviting events.

STUDIO (FILMING) 

I’ve learned from the video that in order to make a story structure, you have to look at how stories in our everyday lives are told, what draws us into them and why we take them in. It is possible to tinker around with this structure, but movies overall have always followed this specific pattern for creating a story. It’s the most engaging, because of the journey that is centered around it. If all we had was a destination and no journey, everything would be dull and meaningless.

WHAT I LEARNED and PROBLEMS I SOLVED

I’ve researched and what I came up with most of all is, problem solving is’nt always instant, a process is always involved. People always need to refresh their minds and see if something clicks that can help them with their problems. Relying on what you see as the situation and how you and everyone want’s to see out of it, can increase the strength in collaborating and coming with new solutions. Some would be easier than others,but still have the work put in it. Early film makers had to come up with new ways of showing their movies, eventually evolving into what we have today. It’s always a process. 

WEEKLY ACTIVITY EVALUATION

It was fun to go over the history of film and how it evolved over time. My biggest complaint overall is just the craving to actually practice these in class, see what it’s like to be a producer, director, designer, or whatever position we’re interested in, so we can learn from experience. Still it was fun getting to know the basics, and expanding our knowledge on what can be done.